Bookmarks for July 6th through July 15th [del.icio.us]
Bookmarks from July 6th through July 15th:[del.icio.us]
- Who Lincoln Was- and was not: Sean Wilentz, The New Republic – Sean Wilentz’s detailed and exhaustive review of six books on abraham lincoln. debunks much of the ‘two lincolns’ and ‘team of rivals’ scholarship and portrays him as a shrewd politician that was far more complex and nuanced than the current trends to deify him. best article i have read all year.
- Domino | Albums | Parallax Error Beheads You (Special Edition Soup Can) -interesting idea on music packaging”To celebrate the release of Max Tundra’s new album, Parallax Error Beheads You, your friends at Domino are revolutionizing the music industry with the launch of a new kosher format on the 20th October.” Yes, buy a can of Max Tundra’s limited edition Kosher Chicken Soup and you will receive a copy of his new album from our new Domino download store, plus an exclusive bonus download album of covers called Best Friends (a reinterpretation of Some Best Friend You Turned Out To Be by Max Tundra’s friends).
- Jazz: The Music of Unemployment: Soup of the day – “One of the things I am thinking about right now (in addition to thinking about the upcoming tour, and also thinking about what I’m going to have for lunch) is this:How exactly am I going to release the next record? I have pondered a variation of this issue before, of course, but this time out, I’m not so concerned with the optimum media / packaging for the release.”
- What OC sheriffs learned at Jackson’s funeral – OC Watchdog – OCRegister.com -“One point we learned from LAPD, the VIPs invited to the service were not screened for weapons and this posed a problem, should the LAPD have to make rapid deployment into the arena for anything. Several of the VIPs had their own armed body guards and this was noted by the LAPD commanders,” said lieutenant J. Passalaqua. Passalaqua manages special events for Irvine Lakes, the county parks and the Orange County Fair grounds.
- Create Digital Music » The Music Bore “I’m sorry, Dave, I can’t allow you to listen to Coldplay.” What would radio be like if playlists were not only robotic, but had robot DJs pulling information from the Interwebs dynamically? That’s the question asked by the winning team at London’s Music Hackday last weekend, which created an epic mashup of data sources to produce a voice-synthesized IRC chatbot that researches and plays music for you.
- Missing Los Angeles violinist found dead – Los Angeles Times – “Coroner’s officials said Korda, 68, had been found unresponsive shortly before 7 p.m. July 8 at a home in Glendale. The violinist was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead less than an hour later, Los Angeles County coroner’s spokesman Ed Winter said.” The violinist had gone undetected by investigators looking for Korda because he had been mistakenly entered into the system as “Robert Norda.”
- CSU might hike student fees by about 20 percent – College Life OC – OCRegister.com -”Barely two months after it increased students fees by 10 percent, the California State University system is considering raising fees by about 20 percent to help California balance a budget deficit projected at $26 billion.”
- Create Digital Music » Cellist Zoe Keating on Quitting Your Day Job, Going on Tour – “Should you quit your day job and go on tour with a rock band? That’s the question answered by cellist Zoe Keating at Ignite, the 5-minute hyperpresentation series put on by O’Reilly.”
Be the first to like.